04 February 2014

Going Bionic With a Hip Fillet - Part 1

At last... I have a bionic hip! Two years and several diagnoses and treatments in the making, I got my first artificial joint yesterday -- a right hip. The process has been educational and enlightening and LOADS easier than expected.

I can't possibly top Steve Carell's description of the process on his recent appearance on Letterman's show, so watch this first: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQSQTeza50I. My experience varied only slightly...

One O.R. nurse (pictured here) took care of my entire prep process -- stabbing me with the I.V.; giving me the stylish blue-and-green-print dress with low-cut (err, open) back and clashing yellow rubberized non-warming socks; and manscaping the region with a partially-functional disposable electric shaver.

The anesthesiologist showed up next, treated me to a relaxer via the I.V. and reviewed the routine with me. Before I knew it, I heard "Mr. Taylor, how do you feel?" and I was in the recovery area. No pain. No nausea. Great nap. Easy!

While I was being filleted, Tom was accompanied in the waiting room by our friends, DeeAnne and Debbie. I had the easy part here -- just sleep; they had the boring part -- waiting. Thanks, girls, for keeping him busy! The three of them were waiting for me in the room when they wheeled me up. The rest of the day was completely uneventful, thankfully.

No comments: