17 February 2014

Going Bionic With a Hip Fillet - Part Deux

My stay at Methodist Hospital for Surgery was as good as you can imagine a hospital stay could be, and better than most hotel stays I've had. The staff and facilities were both top-notch. Even the food was excellent. The evening after my surgery (Monday), they brought me a breakfast menu and took my breakfast order for the next morning. Everything sounds good when you've been fasting for 18 hours. I opted for a heartiest thing on the menu -- eggs, bacon, potatoes and a biscuit. Now I just had to wait about 12 hours to get it. Much to my delight, though, David, the night shift nurse, brought me a late-night snack of peanut butter and graham crackers. There is nothing better than peanut butter to break a fast!

My first solid meal since Sunday could not have been more satisfying; breakfast was just as hearty in reality as it looked on the menu the night before. Lunch was a lovely chicken Florentine, and dinner was a tasty fettuccine primavera. Isn't it funny that whether we're on vacation or being filleted, the dominant topic of conversation is food? (And, yes, Julie Richey, even hospital asparagus has that after effect.)

I was released on Wednesday afternoon, and the recovery/rehab at home has progressed extremely well. Having been filleted two weeks ago today, I'm getting around nicely on my walker, and today started using just the cane while at home.

I have yet to settle on a name for the new bionic hip, but have gotten many excellent suggestions! More as it happens...

No comments: